The Chattanooga Chapter of the National Alliance on Mental illness will hold its free Speaker's Forum, 6:30-7:30 p.m. Tuesday at Joe Johnson Center, 420 Bell Ave. Rebecca Welchel, director of Metropolitan Ministries, will provide information on its goal to assist with emotional and physical help (rent, utilities, food, legal help and clothing). For information, visit www.namichattanooga.org or call 899-6922.
Nutrition World will hold a free lecture Saturday at 12:30 p.m. Dr. Keener of Ideal Protein Clinic will lecture on the principles of losing weight. He has supervised many individuals who have lost more than 100 pounds. Call to reserve a spot at 892-4085.
Summer T'ai Ji
Classes offered weekly to learn the healing art of T'ai Ji. A six-week class series costs $48 at the following sites:
• Mondays: 10 a.m., St. Timothy Episcopal Church, 630 Mississippi Ave., Signal Mountain; 11:45 a.m., Alexian Village, 100 James Blvd., Signal Mountain; 4 p.m., Bethlehem Center Gym, 200 W. 38th St.; 7 p.m., ClearSpring Yoga, 17 N. Market St.
• Tuesdays: 11:30 a.m., Eastgate Town Center, 5600 Brainerd Road, near the stage; 6:30 p.m., New Moon Gallery & Tea Room, 2 Northshore, outside in courtyard.
• Thursdays: 6 p.m., Eastgate Town Center, 5600 Brainerd Road, near the stage center.
• Fridays: 11 a.m., First Christian Church, 650 McCallie Ave.
Contact 821-8947 or email@example.com to register.
Breast-feeding class, Tuesday, 6:30-9 p.m. at Erlanger East (Gunbarrel Road). Learn breast-feeding basics, what to expect the first few weeks and special tips for success. Concerns about returning to work/school also discussed. Coordinated by a board-certified lactation consultant. Registration fee: $30. Call Erlanger's HealthLink at 778-5465 to register.
Overweight and considering surgical options? Free insurance verification offered through July. Call 899-1000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Diabetes basics and diet class. This program provides an overview of diabetes and treatment, prevention of complications, meal planning and carbohydrate counting. Classes 8:45 a.m.-2:30 p.m. Friday at Diabetes and Nutrition Center at Memorial Hospital.
• Basic diabetes. This two-session program, which provides an overview of diabetes, treatment and prevention of complications, is held at Diabetes and Nutrition Center at Memorial Hospital, Wednesday, 1:15 p.m. The second session meets June 27. The center can help you obtain a physician's referral and provide cost information. Registration required on both classes. Call 495-7970.
• Diabetes education class, Thursday, June 21, 1:30-4:30 p.m. at Erlanger Chattanooga Lifestyle Center. This class will explore ways to manage diabetes. Call 778-9400 for information on physician referral and insurance reimbursement.
Items for this column are due the Friday before Thursday's publication date. Write to Linda Weaver, P.O. Box 1447, Chattanooga, TN 37401-1447; fax 668-5071; e-mail email@example.com.
related articles »
The Tennessee Chapter of the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation will host the Three Blind Wines fundraiser at 6 p.m. on Nov. ...
Foot examinations and screening in June, July and August at Rehab South Physical Therapy (all locations).